Monday, July 10, 2006

Soccer extravaganza!!

This weekend was all about soccer for me! I've talked quite a bit about the volleyball league I play in this summer but I also play soccer on Friday nights on a co-ed intramural league. It's quite a fun team with a lot of really experienced players that are teaching me ways to improve my skills and really helping me out in the mean time. The fact that I'm doing some running on my own helps my fitness level a lot to and I seem to be playing a lot better then I ever remember playing, which also makes it very fun. The downfall to the league is that because it's rec, the conveners have decided not to implement reefes of the field so every game there ends up being some sort of bickering, about calls, roughness a plays and even the rules in general which is frustrating and very annoying. These discussions sometimes last even well into the week. Because our team is filled with experience players, we are getting the reputation as a rough team which is disappointing because that's really not what I'm in the game for. It seems that our players, because of their skill level and how accustomed they are to the game tend to push and shove a little more then some teams expect. Some of these teams expect there should never be physical contact on the field... Which to them I say, go play baseball! I think the saddest part of the whole seniero is that it could all be solved by having an impartial person that to say, hey you know what that was a little to much, or nope you need to stop whining... The nice thing is that generally, after the game, our team still goes out for a few drinks which obviously creates a little more team spirit.
So that was my Friday, Saturday, unfortunately, I had to work so I missed out on the Germany Portugal game which I'm very excited that Germany won, not only because they were the home team, but also because Portugal played like a bunch of wusy for most of the games I watched them in. That Christiano Ronaldo has got to be the biggest faker I've ever seen in my life! The constant diving and looking for calls gives the game a bad name a bad vibe.
Sunday morning, I got up and went to church for the first time in a few months. Then I went to the gym, did a quick weight workout and then headed to waterloo park and played pickup with a few guys from my team for a few hours. Right after the game was over, Andrew and I headed to his place and watched the World Cup final. I have to say it was one of the best games I've seen the whole tournament. With actual goals in the game, that's quite impressive. That was the first time I'd watch the French captain Zidane play and he is quite an impressive player. I was disappointed in his head butt, it seemed a little unsportsman like but I'm glad to hear the still won the Golden Ball award as he was an awesome force for his team thoughout the tournament.

1 comment:

Christielli said...

How are your diving skills? You should start being just like the pros and fall to the ground and cry if someone makes the least bit of contact with you. It'd make the controversy of the game even that much more fun.

Glad that you had a soccer filled weekend. I didn't watch the Ger-Por game because I only watch the gold medal games in any sort of sporting event. I'm a selective woman...