Friday, May 05, 2006

The Joys of Runninng..

So I've been trying to think about what to write in my second post all week. Don't want to let me friends down and only write one post! As I was running today I was thinking about how much I enjoy this new found activity of mine and thought it would make a pretty good topic.
For most of my life I always wanted to be in shape and able to run miles and be the best at all types of sports. As a kid I was fairly lazy so that managed to keep me away from doing activities, but as I got older I stared to rely on physical activity. For the last 3 years or so I've been fairly consistent at running at least 3 times a week, weather it's in the gym during the winter or outside in the warmer months. All this time I thought that it was just me who found running outside to be incredible difficult. When at the gym I could run for 20 min straight on the treadmill with out much problem but when it came to running out side, I was lucky to be able to run for 4 minutes with 2 minute cheater intervals in between. Eventually by the end of the summer I would get much better, something like 10 minutes running and 2 minutes walking, but of course every spring I would have to start over at my weenie little pace. This year I've been working with a personal trainer so not only has she helped me to improve my physically appearance, body composition and strength, she has also helped me to improve my cardiovascular levels. I can get my heart rate from 170 down to 120 in something like 2 min which is pretty much ridiculous!! So about a week or two ago I started running outside again, since it's finally getting nice and warm out, and I mentioned to her how much I struggle with the switch. I was relieved to find out that she has the same problem and in fact, doesn't like to run outside because she just can't perform as well. That was enough to encourage me to keep trying and I've now been able to increase my run time from 3 to 4 minutes in only one week. I know it sounds wimp but I'm proud so there. I am planning on running in a 5km marathon in June, so I still have quite a ways to go...
Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Christielli said...

5 km marathon! That's crazy!!

Yay for you for updating!

Anonymous said...

I ran in a 5K *cough* marathon this morning. it was a bi tch.

Matt V - Mvern78 said...

Way to go... We reciently started running too, mainly because our dog is getting fat (117 lbs as of saturday) and we could benifit from a little more exercise too.

Keep it up!

s said...

WOW 5 Km - thats so cool!!
I wish I could run - but it makes me die - or it feels as though I might. I found that I ran better at the gym as it was a consistant ground under my feet, but felt the pressure of the public eye when I am outside, and forced myself to run longer. Hense the dying!

Christielli said...

Look at all of the comments you are getting. I think your fans want more posts. Perhaps a post on the romantic intrigue in your life would be appropriate?